Terrific opportunities exist locally for canoeing, horseback riding, hiking, and cycling.
- Canoeing – Spend a day canoeing down the scenic Shadow River, the mouth of which is a five minute paddle from the public docks in Rosseau. Just follow the shore to the right as you look out over the lake from the docks. This shallow river winds gently through serene wilderness and can provide a good half day excursion. Remember to take your camera, as you are sure to get a photo of Great Blue Herons. To rent paddling equipment, contact Muskoka Outfitters in Bracebridge or Huntsville. For the more adventuresome, explore the larger Lake Rosseau. Winds tend to pick up in the afternoon, so we suggest an early morning or late afternoon paddle if you plan to go on the lake.
- Horseback Riding – A good selection of riding stables are available in Muskoka: click here
- Hiking – Muskoka and Seguin are full of scenic hiking trails. A comprehensive list of options is offered at the following links: Experience Muskoka, Muskoka Trails, or Do it in Muskoka For a pretty hike only five minutes from the retreat, drive 5 minutes East on Hwy 141. to Muskoka Road 3 to enjoy the Rosseau Falls. We suggest parking your car at the top of the road and walking down. The falls are a 15 minute hike from the road, and offer beautiful picnic facilities. Parking is available at the falls. If you are still feeling energetic and want a swim, continue down the road for another 15 minute walk to Three Mile Beach, a public swimming area. This hike is quite pretty on the off season. In the springtime, the river is an awesome force, and fall offers a terrific array of colours. A good spot for painting in the fall. Fish Hatchery Trail and Raymond Trail are also short trails that are quite close (see Muskoka Trails website). For a pleasant early morning run, go along Aspdin Rd.
- Cycling: – There are many attractive backroads in Rosseau for those wanting a pleasant few hours on their bikes. There is a 10 and 18 km loop off Aspdin Rd that is quite pleasant. For the more serious at heart, a number of lengthy bike trails are available at the following links: The Seguin Trail, Bike Muskoka. Check out Bike Muskoka. Your one stop for information about local shop rides, cycling and triathlon events that are happening around Muskoka. http://www.bikemuskoka.ca/
- Wake Boarding – What Wake Park is located at the famous Bush’s Sport’s Center just north of Bala and is setting the standard for water-sports experience in Muskoka. A cable park and a boat lake with lessons all in one convenient location hopefully gets you excited! Offering a unique experience to all ages and skill levels, we hope you will give us the opportunity to share our passion and experience for the sport.
Check out Destination Rosseau for more great ideas!