Guests at the Rosseau Retreat will find an incredible assortment of things to do in the area. We will be pleased to help you plan your stay. Whether it is spring flowers, summer fun, fall colours, or winter activities, Rosseau is the perfect place to relax or explore. The newly developed waterfront, only a two minute walk from the Retreat, offers pristine swimming, abundant fishing, and plenty of docking space for boats. The Farmer’s Market on Friday mornings during the summer months keeps things lively!
In the winter time, downhill skiing and snowboarding are available at Hidden Valley, just North of Hunstville, a 40 minute drive from the Retreat.
Extensive groomed Nordic ski trails are available through the Georgian Nordic Ski Club (35 minute drive from the Retreat near Parry Sound), where equipment can be rented. Arrowhead Provincial Park, near Huntsville, also offers some terrific trails and creates a magical skating trail through their park.
If you have your own skis, you might want to try out the Bracebridge Resource Management Centre, approximately a 20 minute drive from the Retreat. This is a beginner course with 8 km of groomed trails suitable for skiing or snowshoeing. Features attractive woodland area, nature viewing and scenic vistas along the Muskoka River.
To rent snowshoes or ski equipment, contact Muskoka Outfitters in Bracebridge. The website offers ideas for local skiing, snowshoeing and ice climbing. They also offer a detailed description of the Bracebridge Resource Management Centre.
Rosseau is connected to a vast web of OFSC
snowmobile trails. Check out your options at The Ontario Federation Of Snowmobile Clubs Website.
Other Winter Activities to Explore
Set within the heart of many of Ontario’s premiere golf clubs, a wide assortment of choices are available, all located within a 30 minute drive of the Retreat. We recommend the following courses:
The Rock | Diamond in the Ruff | Windermere House | Sequin Valley
Boating & Cruises
Boating is a lovely way to experience the Muskoka Lakes. A number of options exist if you would like to get out on the water:
- Idyllwood, restored 1920’s private yacht available for hire. (705)- 645-2462 Maximum of 12 guests, operating on Lake Rosseau. Sunset Cruises Website.
- Lady Muskoka Cruise Boat, operating out of Bracebridge, Ontario May to October 1-800 263-5239.
- Island Queen Cruises, Parry Sound 705-746-2311.
- Small boat rental: Muskoka Lakes Marina on Lake Rosseau for boats 14-21: 705-732-4383
Activities for Children
The Rosseau Waterfront provides and ideal place to take young ones for their first dip. Children’s swimming lessons are offered by the township during the summer for a reasonable fee, and can usually be taken on a weekly basis. Summer camps are also offered through the township office.
Clevelands House offers a great children’s day camp that you can enroll in for the half day, full day, week.
Horseshoe Lake Camp offers an 18 whole mini golf course, just a 15 minute drive from the Retreat. Wilderness Adventure Golf is an 18-hole miniature golf course available in Parry Sound, a 25 minute drive away. Helicopter rentals are also offered at this facility: click here for Parry Sound Area Attractions. For a whole day of fun filled activity, Santa’s Village and Sportsland in Bracebridge is always a big hit.
Nature and Wildlife
Just outside of Rosseau is the Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, a rehabilitative centre for injured and orphaned animals. The centre provides rehabilitation to approximately 1000 animals annually. Visitors are welcome on Wednesdays and Sundays 1-4 pm from Victoria Day Weekend until Thanksgiving Weekend. Special activities are featured year round.
The Village of Rosseau is famous for its Farmers’ Market on Fridays, its Antique shops and Sunday antique markets, art galleries, as well as its attractive waterfront and local shops. Enjoy the quaint and timeless experience of the Rosseau General Store. Rosseau Lake Antiques on Victoria Street has been providing great finds for over 20 years. For more contemporary decor, visit Hilltop Interiors. The Craft Room provides you with a variety of craft novelties. Bracebridge, Parry Sound, Huntsville and Port Carling all have larger shopping centres within a 35 minute drive.
Venture into town for a casual fine dining experience at Crossroads Pub and Grill, located across the road (“kitty corner”) from the Rosseau Retreat.
Rosseau Bakery offers fresh pizza and bakery delights. Visit Orrville Bakery for some of their delicious fresh baked bread, homemade pizzas and butter tarts. The newly renovated Bees and Trees cafe offers subs, smoothies, wraps and more. The Gourmet Shoppe offers great take out options from Crossroads.
There is a great Rosseau Chip Truck and Gellato Cafe nearby!
Visit Muskoka Lakes Winery year round for local food, wine & hospitality.
There are lots of fish to be caught in Muskoka! Licenses can be purchased at the general store in Rosseau. You can fish off the public docks, rent a boat, or charter a boat and guide for some serious fishing with Captain Action Charters. Lake Rosseau is a popular spot for ice fishing as well in the wintertime and the lake is spotted with fishing huts from January to March.
Terrific opportunities exist locally for ATV riding, canoeing, horseback riding, hiking, tree top trekking, water sports, cycling and more!
- ATV – Georgian Bay’s Ultimate Adventure is Ontario’s largest and most experienced ATV Guided Tour company. Bear Claw Tours offers many adventures not far from the B&B.
- Canoeing – Spend a day canoeing down the scenic Shadow River, the mouth of which is a five minute paddle from the public docks in Rosseau. Just follow the shore to the right as you look out over the lake from the docks. This shallow river winds gently through serene wilderness and can provide a good half day excursion. Remember to take your camera, as you are sure to get a photo of Great Blue Herons. To rent paddling equipment, contact Muskoka Outfitters in Bracebridge or Huntsville. For the more adventuresome, explore the larger Lake Rosseau. Winds tend to pick up in the afternoon, so we suggest an early morning or late afternoon paddle if you plan to go on the lake.
- Horseback Riding – A good selection of riding stables are available in Muskoka: click here
- Hiking – Muskoka and Seguin are full of scenic hiking trails. A comprehensive list of options is offered at the following links: Experience Muskoka, Muskoka Trails, or Do it in Muskoka For a pretty hike only five minutes from the retreat, drive 5 minutes East on Hwy 141. to Muskoka Road 3 to enjoy the Rosseau Falls. We suggest parking your car at the top of the road and walking down. The falls are a 15 minute hike from the road, and offer beautiful picnic facilities. Parking is available at the falls. If you are still feeling energetic and want a swim, continue down the road for another 15 minute walk to Three Mile Beach, a public swimming area. This hike is quite pretty on the off season. In the springtime, the river is an awesome force, and fall offers a terrific array of colours. A good spot for painting in the fall. Fish Hatchery Trail and Raymond Trail are also short trails that are quite close (see Muskoka Trails website). For a pleasant early morning run, go along Aspdin Rd.
- Cycling: – There are many attractive backroads in Rosseau for those wanting a pleasant few hours on their bikes. There is a 10 and 18 km loop off Aspdin Rd that is quite pleasant. For the more serious at heart, a number of lengthy bike trails are available at the following links: The Seguin Trail, Bike Muskoka. Check out Bike Muskoka. Your one stop for information about local shop rides, cycling and triathlon events that are happening around Muskoka. http://www.bikemuskoka.ca/
- Tree Top Trekking – Get your adrenaline pumping at Treetop Trekking Huntsville, the most exciting adventure activity in Muskoka! Feel like Tarzan while you climb, swing, and zip through the forest canopy in our huge aerial game and zip line park, with activities for ages 9+.
- Real Muskoka – The Muskoka Steamships & Discovery Centre is the leader in preserving, promoting and celebrating the culture and heritage of Canada’s Muskoka District.
- Water Sports – LivOutside offers a variety of water sport events, tours and rentals. Algonquin Outfitters been providing outdoor gear rentals for canoe trips & hiking trips for 50 + years. Book your adventure today toll free 1-800-469-4948.
- Wake Boarding – What Wake Park is located at the famous Bush’s Sport’s Center just north of Bala and is setting the standard for water-sports experience in Muskoka. A cable park and a boat lake with lessons all in one convenient location hopefully gets you excited! Offering a unique experience to all ages and skill levels, we hope you will give us the opportunity to share our passion and experience for the sport.